Thursday, May 7, 2009

May Day

Oh Boy have I missed you all !
It feels like I haven't written in my blog for days ( actually it has been a week...bad, bad Liz !)
Where did the time go??
I will tell you ...even if you don't want to know! :-)

May 1st we had a long weekend. It started out really nice, the weather was beautiful so off to the park we went for a May day festival. We had a nice time ...ate a bit, drank a bit and then just as we wanted to go home it started to hail ! Big fat chunks of ice ! No one could believe it ! The whole day the sun had shined, the temperatures were in the 2o°C, people had shorts on and then all of a sudden hail?? It only hailed for about 20 minutes...then it started to pour cats & dogs ! We all huddled in the cabins they have in the park. After half an hour it stopped and the sun came out as if nothing happened...weird !
Guess Mother Nature was playing a joke on us !?

On the way home we picked up some Asparagus. Yummmmmy !
Here in Germany white asparagus is very popular. We have farmers growing it a couple blocks from our home so we stopped and picked up some ...can't get much fresher then directly from the farmer.

I made a typical dinner of Asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, salt potatoes & black forest ham.
Doesn't this look yummy?? It was :-)
The only thing I hate about preparing white asparagus is that you have to peel it. When I first came here I didn't know that and if you don't peel it, it is very stringy.
Needless to say our first meal ( years ago) wasn't a success!
This is the peeling part...yuck!
This year, for the first time, I bought what they call lilac tip asparagus. Am I on a lilac trip ??
We had never tried it before but I must say it was very good...a bit more flavourful then the white ones. I will definitely get more.
The funny thing was, once you cooked it, the tips turned green...it was cool ! I am easily amused!

The rest of the weekend was filled with looking for patio furniture ( no luck ) and planting flowers in the garden. I am happy to report everything is planned ...for now, but I am sure I will buy more stuff. I need to get a couple roses bush, some Hosta, some Day lilies and a bleeding heart, and.... whatever looks pretty. I have a weakness when it comes to nurseries. No flower is safe from me.

After a lovely weekend, Sunday night I started to sniffle, the chest hurt and I was cold.
I couldn't believe it ...I was getting a spring cold ! Oh Happy May Day!
Needless, to say I spent the next 2 days in bed, not due to the cold but to add insult to injury, I got a migraine! I haven't had one in a long time and I thought my head was going to explode.
Those of you that have had migraines can understand and those of you that have never had one...consider yourself super lucky! There is nothing worse in the world!

After hiding out in my dark for a few days...I am alive again!!
Now the house needs cleaning, the frig needs stocking, the wash needs washing...ohhhh, maybe the migraine wasn't that bad...NOT, I would rather wash the windows then go thought that again. Darn the windows need wash too!
Good thing I can't do everything in one day...after all I am sick !

3 comments:

  1. Spargel und Schinken... oh, wie lecker!!!!
    Viele liebe Grüße
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Mother Nature is playing games... yesterday and today we have had snow again... yuk! No planting for me for a long time yet, the ground is still frozen... migraines... you must have joined me last week... I was on the couch nursing one too :-( Glad you are feeling better and up and about, ready to entertain yourself and fill all your spare hours with lovely housework, VBG! Not one of my favourite past times. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Liz, I had never seen "White" Asapargus or "Spargo" until I lived in Germany. Oh how I loved the spargo soup. Lovely. It sounds like your May Day was allot of fun dispite the hale and rain. I look forward to seeing your garden. Sorry to hear about your migranes. No one should have to endure them. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...