Friday, August 17, 2012

Folded Needle case Tutorial

Since this is my favorite needle case, I figured I would do a little tutorial on how I made it. This needle case was  inspired by Khris’ needle case….I made a few minor changes and this is my version.

ME

It is super fast & easy…you’ll be done in half an hour (deciding on your fabric can take longer…it usually does by me).

You only need

  • 10” square piece of each …fabric, H320 batting & felt
  • a snap or button

First …download the pattern from Khris’s blog .

Print out the pattern .… Omit the middle part.…trace it onto freezer paper …cut out the freezer paper pattern

1 - Iron H630 Batting to the wrong side of the fabric  ( sorry for the goofy shape but I used a scrap piece of fabric.)

1

2 – Iron the freezer paper pattern on top of your fabric (right side) if you don’t have freezer paper, you can draw the design directly to the right side of your fabric….I like to use freezer paper since I don’t like pencil marks on my fabric…besides I have the pattern ready to use again and again.

2

**note** if you wish to use a ribbon & button closure like I did above…omit the little stem part of the pattern

3 – Pin felt to fabric ( wrong sides together)

3

4 – Stitch around edge of freezer paper using it as a guide.  (or stitch on top of your markings)

4

Remove freezer paper…save for the next needle case.

5 – Mark your inner lines. ( from one V point to the opposite V point )  …I use a Hera marker, once again no pencil marks on my work.

5

5b

6 - Stitch the marked lines lines…..

6

7 – Cut it out about 1/4”  above your stitching line. I used Pinking scissors to give it a nice zig-zag look. …if you plan on adding lace/trim to top edge…trim shorter.

7

8 – Now comes the hard part…..deciding which trim to use ?? …lace, rick rack, pompoms…or leave it alone???

8

For this case I decided not to use trim,  I wanted the red felt to show up…..instead I trimmed the fabric ( with H630) down to about 1/8” … be careful not to cut your pinked edges.

 8b

8a

9 – I did a small zig zag stitch along the trimmed edge ….if you add trim/ lace, etc..  you can omit this part and instead attach your trim to the top edge.

9c

10. To fold it …..push the two middle sides in …

8c

Should looks like this …..

8d

Then push the front & back together.

9

I then give it a press with the iron so that the creases are set.

9a

11 – Attach a snap or button…DONE !

done

…almost forgot…fill it with your favorite needles and enjoy !

done 2

You can label the sections if you like….

inside

Now…wasn’t that fast & easy ?? Don’t you wanna make another one ??

I did ……I made one with trim ( for my sewing tote)

red

and here's one a made years ago with silk ribbon embroidery on it….

SRE

SRE 2

or machine embroidery….

ME

ME 2

Hope you make one !

Hugs,

8EE70D378876121B41B6BA571C708845

P.S: If there is anything you don’t understand in the tutorial…please let me know and I will explain it or correct it. Thanks!

P.S.S. These make great little Christmas gifts.

14 comments:

  1. Hallo Liz,
    vielen Dank fürs Zeigen! Dieses Nadelmäppchen ist wunderschön!
    LG
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Einfach nur wunderschön, liebe Liz
    Danke fürs Zeigen. Ich habe den Stoff schon hier liegen, aber noch nicht angefangen. Vielleicht schaffe ich es am Wochenende. Es wird soooooo heiss, da kann ich nicht nach draussen, da ist es an der Nähmaschine viel kühler.

    liebe Grüße
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,

    dein Nadelmäppchen ist soo niedlich und wunderschön. Danke fürs Tutorial..ich werde es bestimmt auch ausprobieren!

    Liebe Grüße und ein schönes Wochenende, wünscht dir
    Klaudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guten Morgen Liz,
    ich bin ab und zu als stille Leserin auf deinem inspirierenden Blog. Heute hat es mir das allerliebste Nadelmäppchen angetan und ich hätte es gerne nachgenäht. Leider kann ich das Muster nicht öffnen. Kannst du mir bitte weiterhelfen? Herzlichen Dank im voraus und viele Grüsse
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant wait to make this, I need lots of these. I adore your hand work. Gorgeous.. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial Liz. I could do with one of these for my sewing machine needles so I can remember which numbers they are. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for my needles, your project is perfect. A beautiful tutorial!! Thanks for sharing your creation with us. Is now on my list of things to do for my sewing room, thank you very much. Your needle case are gorgeus!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz,
    thanks a lot for all your work, you did for this great Tutorial! This Needle-Case looks so great!
    Have a happy start into a new and hot week ;O)
    hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Die sind ja niedlich, hast du du super gemacht!
    Vielen Dank für deine Mühe!!!
    Werde ich gleich mal ausprobieren.
    Lg
    Gitta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Die sind ja richtig herzig, Deine Nadelmäppchen.
    Vielen Dank fürs zeigen.

    LG Uta

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful! Thanks for the pattern and the super tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great version of the needle-case Liz...thanks for sharing. Hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't seem to get to where I download the pattern. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Liz, thank you ever so much for wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...