Friday, August 3, 2012

Think Christmas - Blog Hop ! My Day is here !

Today is the big day…my first time in a blog hop ! Please bear with me…

First a big “Thank you” to Lesley at The Cuddle Quilter  and Mdm Samm at Sew We Quilt for having organized this fun filled 7 day Blog Hop!

Mission was to “Think Christmas and make  a 6 1/2 “ block….the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Christmas is “ Believe”…..Believe in Santa, Believe in the Good Will in Men …Believe in Peace….Believe in the Magic of Christmas….Believe !

So I decided not to make your tradition quilting block since I didn’t want another block in my UFO box…I wanted to turn the block into something …but what ?? After a bit of head scratching  I decided on a …. book cover ! 

Here is my “Believe” book cover !

Believe

…the inside…..

Believe inside

This was super easy to make…here's a small tutorial for you … This is for an 5 3/4” x 8 1/4 “ notebook ( German size A3).

You’ll Need :

  • 1 - A5 Notebook
  • 6 1/2” square for Embroidery
  • Fabric A  - 1 pc 7 1/2 “ x 9 1/ 2” for back of cover & 2 pcs 2 “ x 6 1/2 “ strips for front
  • 2 pcs 7” x 9 1/2” for inner flaps
  • Fabric B  - 1 pcs 9 1/2” x 13 1/4” inside of cover
  • thin iron batting  H630  - 8 1/2 “ x 12 1/5 “
  • 2 pcs thin iron-on interfacing  2 3/4” x 9”
  • Rick Rack, felt , trim, bell & DMC floss

Download the Block HERE!

    (if anyone has any trouble downloading the pattern…email me and I will send it to you …I’m new at this stuff !)              

** all Seam allowances are 1/4” unless otherwise noted **

Trace word onto block ….Embroider the block …I used 3 strands of DMC floss.

Step 1

Add fabric to top & bottom of block  ( 2” x 6 1/2 “)

step 2

Sew back fabric to front ( 7 1/2 x 9 1/2)

Step 3

Apply a thin iron on batting to back of top piece –….this adds body to the cover. I used H630 …cut smaller ( 8 1/2 “ x 12 1/2” )  so that there is no batting in the seam allowances …reduces bulk

step 5a

Sew Rick rack around edge….or not ?!

Step 4

Attach hat to Stitchery and stitch gold running stitch around block …the reason I do this at this point and not earlier is that I can better place the hat & the running stitch once the pieces are sewn

step6a

Cut 2 pieces 7 “ x 9 1/2”

step 5

Iron a medium interfacing to half of the flap only ! Fold flap in half ( wrong sides together)

STep

Attach a flap to each side of the inner fabric

step 6

…if you wish to add a ribbon for a bookmarker…do it now ( I forgot and had to open a seam to slide mine in)  Place both pieces right sides together …sew all around- leave an opening for turning.  Clip corners

step 7

Turn right side out …iron  … embellish …hand stich opening closed…

Insert book and “ta-ta” finished !!!

done

I hope I wrote the tutorial without any mistakes…first time doing this and I can tell you is not easy…my hat off to all the bloggers that offer up free tutorials…I am going to appreciate them even more now! 

Hugs,

8EE70D378876121B41B6BA571C708845

P.S. This can be made using any kind of fabric…makes great quick gifts!

P.S.S. If you make one… I would love to see a picture of a finished piece.

Now go enjoy the other Blog Stops

Crazy 'Bout Quilts
Dexter Days
Cherry's Prairie Primitives
Somewhat Fanciful
Craftluver Marianna
Quiltscapes
Prsd4tim2
Moments ( that's Me )
Ruthanne at That Other Blog

73 comments:

  1. I love the book cover and thanks for the tutorial. I will have to make one or two. Yours is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! What wonderful gifts. Thank you so much for showing us how to make one! This is on my to try list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just too cute.... it would be great as a cover for a Christmas scrapbook.... Very clever and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh its lovely - would make great Christmas gifts. Thanks for sharing and great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the scrapbook idea! For all those holiday photos. This is so sweet. I love the Santa hat. Thank you for the tutorial. Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial ! Will make a perfect gift for the reader on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. This could easily become my next holiday planner. Starting right before Thanksgiving I start making lists of things to do, things to buy, people to entertain, recipes, party planning etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tutorial on this book cover excellent. I love the embellishments. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea! Your book cover really is lovely. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, you know what I'm going to say... love your Santa! This is just the niftiest idea...I have always "believed" and this little Santa just steals my heart! Thank you so much for sharing...this little guy just might show up in the homes of some of my friends at Christmas time...so adorable! Thanks so much for participating and enjoy the rest of the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I just love this...thank you so much for the tutorial. Can you send me the pattern I cannot download it..thank you
    sgriff57@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI. Great idea for a block. We all need these book covers and I think you were very creative to help us "think outside the block."
    Debby Kratovil

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a prety tutorial. thank's for sharing, you're right beautiful gift to make. hope to see you on my blog sunday for my turn on the hop

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing another lovely way to use a seasonal block, very pretty - and such a great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial. Creative use of a block....would be wonderful as photo album cover for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work is fabulous! Thank you for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a good idea .With school starting at the end of August we could also dress up one of the grandkids books.Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The book cover is such a cute idea! Love the Santa hat on "Believe"... Is it felt? Would love a little more instruction on that part. Thanks for the tutorial and such a unique gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the hat is cut out of felt and stitched down in place, then I glued the braid to the hat..I used braid trim I had ...anything would work...felt, yarn, trims, ribbon...whatever you have on hand. You could hand applique the hat if you wanted but i tried to keep it simple & fast...we never have a lot of time over the holidays !
      Have fun making your book cover...be sure oto send me a picture if you do ...I'm nosy!
      Hugs, Liz

      Delete
  19. Good Morning Liz....ohhh the dreaded word verification..egads..the last one took me 6 tries...you would get so many more comments if you just turned it off just =for today....

    ok, here goes..your wee project is delightful..sew delightful that it...no I cannot say lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooops, I forgot I had the word verification on ( I normally don't like it but lately i got a bunch of spams so I turde it on to stiop them and forgot ) ...I just turned it off!
      Thank you for the hgonorable mention!!

      Delete
  20. I love your book cover! Thank you so much for giving us a tutorial too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful book cover! Thanks so much for sharing your great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Christmas design....I do believe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea to make a book cover. Thanks for sharing a tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. awesome idea! thanks for sharing and congrats on your honorable mention at sewwequilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is sew cute! Thanks for sharing your tutorial, too.
    I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your book cover and that little Santa is adorable! Thanks for sharing and your tutorial was great. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  27. For your first time, you did an amazing job on your tutorial. This was fun and I know all of your followers can do this for themselves as well. Thank you for sharing your first tutorial with all of us and making the Think Christmas so much fun.

    Sandi T.
    sandit1@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea for a book cover! Would be a great Christmas gift with a nice Christmas book. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for your great tutorial! I'll have to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this pattern! It's so funny with the santa hat, thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is lovely. Thanks for the great tutorial.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is just darling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Marvelous idea!! Useful yet gorgeous!!
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the tutorial!! So creative, love the cover design!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for your cute little book tutorial. I like your practical idea. I agree, I also don't need another block in my UFO box. I have enough UFOs to keep my busy past Christmas! As a retired teacher, I can appreciate how difficult it is to write a tutorial-you have to think of everything that you don't ordinarily think about! Sometimes it's helpful to plan far enough ahead to give it to someone else to read to see if they understand it. My sister recently tried to make a project that her daughter found on-line. Neither one have done much sewing recently due to job/raising a family. When she had difficulty she texted me and I was able to interpret some strange language contained in the project. Pictures are very useful as I know I am a visual learner as are many others. Thanks for the opportunity for a giveaway and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for a wonderful tutorial and a great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your book cover is beautiful!! I love it!! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your book cover turned out so well. The embroidery is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. great job on the tute! I love the hat on the B!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a cute design! Thanks for the tutorial. It would make a great gift (and one for me).

    ReplyDelete
  41. Lovely block and a great tutorial to go with it. Like a Christmas present. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a lovely book cover and excellent tutorial. I love the pretty addition of embroidery and trim to make it beautiful.
    Thanks for participating in the blog hop.
    Regards from Western Canada,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  43. Adoreable!! My grandkids love Polar Express and the "believe" when you hear a jingle bell. I think I'll do a few of these for Christmas gifts

    ReplyDelete
  44. Tolle Anleitung!!!!Danke!!!
    Ich kauf schon einen Weihnachtsbaum(lach)
    Lg
    Gitta

    ReplyDelete
  45. A bookcover is a great idea and you made such a cute one!! Thanks for sharing a new idea!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks for the great tut and congrats on the honorable mention!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for the great tut and congrats on the honorable mention!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hiya! I love this idea, I have lots of thinkers and writers in my family, this would be a lovely gift for them. Thank you for the tutorial, but I can't get to the block pattern. Could you send it to me please? Thank you, blessed be, hugs!!!

    playamom57 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for the great tutorial. I really love the little notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks for sharing the great tutorial. I love the way you used the Santa cap to frame the letter B.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Nice, unusual, idea. You made a great tutorial. I am going to try my had at one of these books AND at writing a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you for the tutorial for a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a cute idea! I hope to make my two granddaughters one! I agree about the work in preparing a tut. I too will appreciate all those bloggers who prepare tuts for us!

    ReplyDelete
  54. SUCH A CUTE IDEA+THANKS FOR SHARING!
    HAPPY STITCHING!

    msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. How clever! I will have to do this. This looks like fun to me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This would be perfect to make and cover a tablet to keep Christmas memoeries, recipes and pictures in! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Congraulations on your first blog hop ! I know having a blog requires time. I think you did an excellent job! I 've never made a book cover but now I know how. Great job and thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  58. OK! This is on my Christmas list to do list!!

    Excellent first blog hop! Now you are ready for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  59. LIZ...I love your Think Christmas project...and yes 'Believe' says it all. Thanks for sharing in the blog hop...have a great week and happy stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Nice job! This was something else besides just blocks and quilts. You were one quick thinking lady! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...