Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Something good, gone bad…..

its amazing that the internet with all its good, fun, creative, exciting, inspiring ideas can also be a nightmare.

Since January I have been doing my Sewing Room SewAlong…every month I have posted links, blogs, inspirations that I found on the net for you to sew.

To my pleasure & surprise my little blog inspired, motivated a bunch of you …for this I am truly thankful. It has made my sewing days more pleasurable !

Till this is month!

I posted a link I found on another blog for this round case. Since then I have been bombarded with crazy emails .

Cylindrical zippered bag pattern at Black Forest Quilters

This sewing case looks like one that was created by Jutta at Fraulengraben

DSCF5751

Jutta created this pattern 2 years ago and posted it as a freebie for one day as part of a Christmas calendar…which I was lucky enough to become since I am a member of that group…which I had hoped to sew this year in my SAL…which I did not share!

As I was preparing this months Sewing Project post. I came across a link …on another blog…for a round case…that I thought would make an adorable sewing case…so I posted the link thinking you would all love it.

Since then I have been bombed with crazy emails !

I want to get a few things cleared….

When Jutta wrote me and said the pattern looked like hers …I asked her if I should remove the post/link from my blog and she said "  Nein - sie brauchen nix löschen/wegmachen - der "Fehler" liegt ja nicht bei Ihnen." 

“ No – I don’t need to remove anything – The error is not yours”
That meant the topic was closed for me !!!

But due to respect for Jutta & her design…I am deleting the link from my blog. You can still find it in the net but not through here.

Since I am relative new to all this crazy blog stuff and don’t wish to intentionally, break any rules, step on any toes ….

I have some questions for you all…

  • Is it a breach of copyright when I post a link that someone else posted …and they could be breaking the copyright rule ??
  • does this mean any pattern / link / picture I think looks like another …I can't post since it may be a copy of someone else's ??

With this kind of thinking …that means I can't post anything since everyone copies each others ideas ??

Ahhh…the joys & headaches of the internet! I wonder if Bill Gates knew what he was starting ??

I am going to continue writing my posts like always and if I make mistakes ( which I am sure I will, since I am am only human)  …I am sure someone will let me know.

Tell then ….lets just sew!

Hugs,8EE70D378876121B41B6BA571C708845

10 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, your post has reminded me of a post I saw on 'you sew girl' who is a pattern designer. You can find it here: http://nicolemdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/to-best-of-us.html (it's not spam, don't worry lol). It's a very gracious post about selling, copyright, ideas, intellectual property etc and in my mind shows us all enough to stop bickering and just get on with what we're doing.

    So, I think you did a good thing to remove the link, if you wanted, you could link to the pattern for sale of the one that you tested, but other than that, it's out of your hands :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right! Don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's ironic about the whole thing is that these bags and the nicolem bags all look very similar. What a confusing mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Du brauchst einen Haftungsauschluß auf Deinem Blog um auf Nummer Sicher zu gehen. Du kannst Dir den Text ganz unten auf meinem Blog anschauen und ihn Dir bei Dir einfügen!
    LG
    KATRINW .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like your name is getting around because of this link.LOLL Not the kind of fame you were looking for I guess. Don't worry Jutta seems like a nice lady and if she's ok with it you're fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Copyright issues are a headache. But you know what? We creative people all think alike. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a similar item designed and created by someone else. Did they copy something they saw? Or does their creative mind work the same as someone elses? Or is it our subconsious mind that sees something and then maybe years later designs and sells the item/pattern/book? I think people are way too crazy over the copyright stuff.

    Quilt patterns from ions ago are called various names depending on where you lived in the world. I doubt they changed the name to suit where they lived, I think it's that someone in that region designed the block and named it and then the same thing happened in another area and I doubt they even knew they created the same design. They didn't have internet or even a fast postal or news system back in the early days when they created quilts all by hand.

    It's kind of like that age old question, "Who came first the chicken or the egg"? I wouldn't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh you poor Girl.. Sorry you had all this trouble.. SO does this mean if we make anything we can't post it. I sometimes thing it goes tooo far. I know I see a picture of something if its sewing or crocheting If I really like it I try to make my own. Is that infringement. Too confusing for me sorry you are having this problem
    Hugs
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liebe Liz,

    ich sehe es genauso wie Cattinka...Du brauchst unbedingt einen Haftungsauschluß auf Deinem Blog um auf Nummer Sicher zu gehen!
    Ich hoffe dass sich die "Problemchen" schnell lösen werden"

    ganz liebe Grüße Klaudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry too much, Liz! I second what some of your lovely commenters already said - get that disclaimer !! Otherwise - just continue what you're doing, yes???

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...