Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pockets ....

Lesley had asked me how I made the pockets in my Susie pouch.
So I figured I would share this with you all.

This is super easy....I use this system for all my bags & pouches when I want a quick pocket .....

I cut my pocket fabric twice as wide as I would like the pocket to be ( plus 2 X seam allowance ) X's the width of the lining piece.
In this case I cut my pocket fabric 6 " x  8 3/4 " ( Actually I cut it 6 " x 9" since it is easier to find on the ruler and then I trim it after I sew it on)



Fold the fabric in half ( right sides together) Stitch the long raw edge closed ...leave the sides open !!

** if you like your pocket to have some body; iron an iron-on interfacing to half of the pocket ...I didn't do it here )

Turn the pocket Right Side Out through the sides ...Press and Top Stitch the folded edge ( I use the seamed edge for the bottom)....

Pin the pocket strip to your lining fabric ...decide how far down from the top edge you would like it ? (for the Susie pouch I went down about 1 3/4")


Sew along the bottom edge of the pocket attaching it to the lining piece ...and sew the pocket sections, making them the size you wish....this is personal choice.


Repeat this on the other lining piece ( if you wish pockets on both sides....now continue sewing the pouch as Ina shows you in the video !

Isn't that easy !??

Just for info.... when I made the bigger pouch (  I used 3 x 8 " strips)  I had cut my pocket fabric 9 1/2" wide by the width of the lining ) and I placed the pocket approx. 2 1/2" from the top edge of the lining.


Sometimes I will get creative and add a different binding color to the top edge of the pocket like I did in the makeup bag.


Or I will make a double pocket like I did in this pouch ... do the same procedure as above, only make the second pocket a bit smaller then the first one ...lay them on top of each other....stitch your sections  through all the layers.

There is no secret recipe ( measurements) for pockets...I just make them the size I want and I make the compartment to fit things I wish to carry in that bag or pouch ( it could be the width of a cell phone, a iPad, pen, shampoo, creams or in this case ...scissors, threads & etc

If anyone has any question...fell free to ask.

.....now I have to go finish the pouch since I have pockets for it !

Hugs,


4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! This does make sense and I will try them out on my next batch of pouches. I made 4 Susie pouches today...they are addictive! And I will definitely make more...with pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, sehr schön sieht das alles aus !!!
    Danke für die zauberhaften, wundervollen Fotos .

    Thank you so much!

    Liebe Grüsse
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life without pockets is no life at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pocket tut! Love the double pocket. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...