Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Stair Basket Sew Along ...Day 2

today I should have all my fabrics cut out and ready for sewing. I haven't even picked them out yet!!
Then we are to sew our handles and start on the sides....eeek...I haven't done that either !!

All of this makes sense to me but since I am not totally following Sarahs instructions ( no plastic canvas) today was spent cutting the pieces out of wood...I had to make the box first to make sure the idea would work...and it did!

I bought ( cheap) thin 3mm paneling ( the kind thats used on the back of furniture).... I found a couple  of "rest" pieces in the leftover bin at the hardware store ( only 55 cents each..yepeee...even new it is cheap )
I drew the pieces out with the measurements Sarah says in the pattern...  minus 1/4"...I did this on purpose to accommodate the 3mm thickness of the wood...don't want the fabric later being to small.

I asked my Hubby to cut out the pieces...of course we didn't have the right tool so I had to order one (he needed an excuse to get this little saw and I gave it to him)....
.....it arrived today and he cut everything in a few minutes..its amazing what you can do with the right tools
Now came my part...tapeing it together.
Thank goodness for Duct tape !!
I followed the directions in the pattern ....which piece goes where....and viola!! 
My step basket shell is done!!
It is sturdy as heck!!
And was easier to do then I thought! 

Now I have to pick out my fabrics...and catch up the sewing for day 3.

Hugs,


3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. By the way, the new top of your blog is gorgeous with the embroidery and all. Good thing you lost your polka dots so you could have this beautiful new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    good morning, this already looks good!
    Happy sewing day today,
    Hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's even more amazing that you have a husband that can use these tools. LOLL I'm so envious. Love your new look blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...