Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stair Basket Sew Along.....DONE !!

My basket is officially done!!
Don't you just love it !!
I do!!
 I had this linen poppy fabric for a while and have been saving it to sew something special with it ( I thought it would of been a summer bag) but Hubby & I both thought it would look great as the stair basket. I am glad I used it and didn't save it  ( after all, I am sure the shops will make more fabric for me..LOL )
I accented it with brown pleather and used red for the lining.

I think it looks great on the stairs...but I also think it would of looked cool in a basket weave fabric ! ...I'll have to keep my eyes open for the next one.
Best of all its not in the way on the stairs and no more stuff piling up on the steps!!! ( usually falling through to the basement !)
 ...now I can say..."Honey, take the basket upstairs...if only I could get him to put it all away would be another story??

 If you have been reading my blog, you know I decided on a challenge and make Sarah's "One Trip Up" Stairs Basket pattern without plastic canvas but wood!  OK, I couldn't get plastic canvas and reeeeally wanted to make the basket ..so what other choice did I have ??

You can see the different steps of the Sew Along  ..HERE
But I never showed you how I finished off the basket. Due to the wood IU had to do it different then the instructions called for.

Once the outer and the lining pieces were sewn...I sewed them together along the top RST ( like I would for a bag) but left a BIG opening. ( about half the width of the wooden frame)
Then I carefully slide the wooden basket into it..surprisingly it wasn't that difficult...I expected a lot more problems.
 Now came what I thought would be the impossible ...closing the opening..but I guess everything is possible !
Here I did a bit of cheating ...First I taped the pleather to the wood so that it would stay still...
Then I folded the lining under to the length I wanted...applied Stylefix (Wonder tape) to the edge...
 ...pressed it against the pleather....it also stayed still...
....and then I could hand sew it down without it sliding all over the place.

Viola...done!!
......surprisingly its not as heavy as I was afraid it might be...
Thank you Sarah for another wonderful pattern ! 
I really enjoyed making it and I definitely will make another one for the basement stairs.
If you'd like to make your own "One Trip Up" Stairs Basket ...you can find it at Cosy Nest Designs 
Hugs,
P.S. Wouldn't it be cool to have one for each kid with their name in it ...no more ..it's not my stuff!!


7 comments:

  1. Yes, I LOVE it!
    Hi Liz, your stair-basket is wonderful! Such a great job, and wonderful fabrics!
    I also love the small pockets outside, you can hide chocolates inside, so you have some treats when you sit on the stairs reading your magazines ;O)
    Happy evening,
    Hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,

    wow.... der Treppenkorb sieht echt toll aus. Gute Idee, den Korpus aus Holz zu machen. Frau muss immer erfinderisch sein... :o)
    Liebe Grüße
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Liz. I would have liked it more in red and white polka dots LOLL. Now there's a thought you could make one like that for Christmas and trim the top with white fur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant ! With stairs like that I can see you really do need one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Liz. I love the colors of that fabric against the wood and red wall. It is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz,
    diese Treppentasche ist absolut genial, so wie auch die 4 in 1 Tasche.
    Am liebsten würde ich sie auch alle nähen, aber das schaffe ich nicht.
    Es ist immer schön hier bei dir zu gucken!
    Liebe Grüße
    Bente

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...