Friday, October 31, 2014

What is orange...

but is not a pumpkin???

My new bag!!!!
When I saw this orange faux leather I just had to get a piece (actually I bought 3 different shades) ...I have been eyeing this pattern "Arya" by Machwerk for a while and now was the time to make it.

I have to admit it was way easier to sew then I thought ...since I was using faux leather I didn't need interfacing or batting...made the cutting & ironing time super quick! I only had to cut the faux leather and the lining...viola!

The only problem I had was top stitching over the tabs /zipper area...8 layers of faux leather & a zipper was a tad much for my machine ...she complained it was to high. Now I know why the instructions recommend not topstitching over that area...not many machines could of handle it ( when I do find one that can, I'll buy it...shhh, don't tell my hubby!)

One of the things that attracted me to this bag was the diagonal zipper gusset...cool! 
and....Super easy to sew!
I opted for the single strap version...you could also make it with two straps.
The only thing I would do different is, next time I'd move the inner pockets a bit more to the left. Due to the diagonally opening, one of the pockets is in the corner, making it difficult to get to.
 The bag also has what I call "Danish corners" ..The first time I saw this done was in a danish magazine...thus the name ! ( I don't know what the real name is?)
I really like the style of the pattern ...I like the layout, that pictures are on one side and the instructions on the other. Makes it easy to follow...
Since I am a visual person...I can look at the pictures and sew...every once in a while stopping to read the instructions ...

The only thing I didn't like about the pattern is that the seam allowances are not included. I hate printing out a pattern and then having to draw around each piece adding a seam allowance....that should be included!!!...next time I will just make the bag 1/2" smaller.

The pattern comes in 3 sizes...
I made the small version...a handbag size....38 x 26 x 12 cm ( 15" x 10" x 5") 
Unfortunately .... the pattern is only available in German...it would be great if she also had her patterns in english since I know you all would love them.... 
Can't you also picture this bag in a lovely red...after all Christmas is coming !!

in the meantime.....

Happy Halloween!!
Hugs,
P.S: I am linking up with TT- Taschen und Täschchen

13 comments:

  1. Liz, Du machst mich sprachlos! So eine schöne Tasche und dann noch in Fuchsrot!!!!
    Wunderschön!!! (wo gibt es so tolles Leder???)
    Liebe Grüße von Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous bag, Liz. I love the color and the outside zipper with the tassel on it is striking. It certainly doesn't look handmade...very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new bag. The colour is gorgeous and I too love that outside zipper. Don't tell your hubby I told you so but my industrial sewing machine can sew those eight layers LOLLL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deine neue Tasche ist wunderschön geworden und mit der Farbe ein richtiger Knaller! Toll gemacht.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich bewundere ja schon länger deine schönen Taschen. Ich hab eine Schnabelina genäht, hat Spaß gemacht.
    LG Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your orange bag. Sounds like a fun pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your version of Arya and that orange! Ich habe auch eine genäht, geht schnell und relativ unkompliziert. Nachdem ich Deine jetzt gesehen habe, muss ich mir auch noch eine aus Kunstleder nähen.
    Wie lang hast Du den Träger gemacht? Meine werden immer zu lang.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz,
    a wonderful new bag!
    Have a nice weekend,
    sending Love and hugs,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz it looks amazing. I agree with Maria you need an Industrial Foot Walking Machine It will sew through those layers very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice and so different! You are really a risk taker. But it pays off.
    Happy Sewing,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wunderschön, Farbe, Schnitt, Verarbeitung. Viel Freude damit.
    Viele Grüße
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your bag.. saw the pic among the Purse Palooza entries. I've been eyeing this pattern for awhile but the german element scares me haha ;) do you think someone who only speaks english could get away with only the pics and maybe google translate?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, einfach nur wunderschön, mehr fällt mir gar nicht ein :-)
    Viele Grüße
    Anela

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...