Sunday, November 9, 2014

Pattern Parcel #7


Pattern Parcel #7: Choose your own price and support DonorsChoose. Win/win!
I have to admit, when I agreed to take part of "Pattern Parcel #7" I had no idea what I was getting into..... I didn't even know what type of patterns I would be getting but I figured it would be a good chance to sew outside of my comfort zone.....

You can imagine my surprise...and joy... when the patterns were.....BAGS, BAGS, BAGS !!!

Pattern Parcel #7 includes some wonderful bag patterns...but which one should I sew ???

I finally decided on ...the Betty Bowler by Swoon Patterns because I always wanted a bag shaped like this and I had this little piece of fabric that I thought would be perfect for it ....with a little bit of careful cutting...I had just enough!
From that piece of fabric...to this.....bag!
 I really liked the front vertical zipper....I had never sewing one...but it was not problem, no different then sewing a normal zipper but it looks special.
The inside is really roomy.....no red but polka dots!
I find the piping really makes the bag but I am still having my growing pains with piping.....love the look of it on bags but for some reason I have to restitch it a couple of times to hide the previous stitching....this is not a problem with the pattern...it is a problem with my sewing skills...I discovered if I created the piping directly on the pattern piece is was one less seam to cover up. But I stll have to practice to get a nice smooth effect....
Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to apply piping without going crazy ?
...I know...practice, practice, practice ! 
I also like how the top zipper is hidden ...I haven't sewed this kind of zipper since my clothes sewing days...some things you never forget.
Basically I followed the pattern instructions except when it came to attaching the lining to the exterior. 
The pattern says "Pin along the zipper area and use your machine to stitch right next to the existing exterior zipper stitching to secure the lining, going as far along as your machine will let you." 
There was no way I was trying that...so I hand stitched the lining to the zipper from the inside...took a few minutes longer then by machine but I have a cleaner finish. 

The other things that I did different are...I used decorator fabric for the outer, plus faux leather for the center accent and cotton fabric for the handles & lining. I also used a 5mm headliner for the batting, since Soft & Stable is not available here.
I am really pleased with the bag...love how it turned out and as soon as I get good at piping I will make another one.

If you would love to make this bag yourself and support a good course...buy the Pattern Parcel and get sewing !!
Hugs,

P.S. ...sometimes the Gods smile down on me when I sew...this was my spool when I was done!! 
Parcel #7 includes:

Barcelona Bag and Wallet by Pat Bravo
Butterfly Sling Purse by Emmaline Patterns
Evelyn Hangbag by ChrisW Designs
Midtown Messenger Bag by Betz White
Betty Bowler by Swoon Sewing Patterns
BONUS PATTERN: Daphne Bag by Clover & Violet 

Bonus Pattern:
Choose a price of $32 or greater for Parcel #7 and you will automatically also be sent the Bonus Pattern! That's just over $5 a pattern. The Bonus Pattern for this Parcel is the brand new Daphne Bag pattern from Clover & Violet. The Daphne is a slouchy satchel that can be worn cross body or as a shoulder bag. The zip top keeps your gear secure and the internal pockets keep your accessories where you need them. This is a brand new, never been seen before pattern and is an exclusive opportunity for Parcel #7 customers!

How Pattern Parcel Works:
Here at Perfect Pattern Parcel, we believe in supporting independent pattern designers. It’s our opinion that indie patterns are just, well, better than big box patterns, and we’re pretty sure our customers think so too. So, we allow customers to show their support in naming their own price for each Parcel.  We also encourage customers to allocate part of their Parcel price to the charity Donorschoose.org in order to help classrooms in need. Pattern Parcel donates all profits after expenses from Parcel sales to the charity as well. Its our goal to raise over $20,000 for Donors Choose this year.

Be sure to check out what the others are making with these great patterns!

Parcel #7 Inspiration Tour Schedule:

Friday, November 7 Stitched || Sew Exhausted

Saturday, November 8 Made by Sara ||Oliver's Fancy || Strawberry Patch Ramblings

Sunday, November 9 from a box || Mia's Creations || MOMENTS

Monday, November 10 owen's olivia || While she was sleeping

Tuesday, November 11 Nutta || Radiant Home Studio || La Pantigana

Wednesday, November 12 Sew Fishsticks || Stacy Sews || Stitching Insane || GnomeAngel

Thursday, November 13 Needle and Ted || Patchouli Moon Studio || Sprouting JubeJube || The Crazy Tailor

Friday, November 14 Casa Crafty || A Jennuine Life || 'So, Zo... What do you know?'

Saturday, November 15 Stitches by Laura || Rebekah Sews || Serger Pepper

Sunday, November 16 Blogs Like A Mother || Vicky Myers creations || Blossom Heart Quilts

Monday, November 17 Shanni Loves || So Sew Easy || GYCT Designs || Tiger In A Tornado

Tuesday, November 18 The Nosy Pepper || Keep Calm and Carrion || There & Back || Sewing Sober

Wednesday, November 19 Sew Like My Mom || Knot Sew Normal || Stacy Sews || sewVery

Thursday, November 20 Mimi's Mom || Our Family Four || shades of BOLD || Modern Handcraft

Friday, November 21 Shawnta Sews || Lulu & Celeste || Amanda Rose || Robin's Fabric Nest || House of Pinheiro

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful. You're brave doing the piping. I love it on bags but avoid it like the plague. You must be sending this bag to me becasue it's my favourite colour. LOLLL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Liz great minds think alike because I made this same bag for my day and I too used headliner and I sewed my lining to the bag by hand too because I thought the same as you, lol!!! I used a pre-made piping and there was no instructions on where to place it because pre-made piping is a lot shorter and I had to measure and pin it carefully in place hoping I got it placed in the correct place. If I had lined up the raw edges as in the instructions the entire piping would have disappeared into the seam allowance! I like the look of piping, but not a fan of sewing it either. I like your leather accent. Beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, as always, Liz. I love how you use the pleather along with the other fabric, and I love the shades of blue. Your bag "bling" makes it really special, and I think your piping looks fanastic!

    This is my take on piping--I learned how to do it a long time ago when I made smocked outfits--they took a lot of piping and I got a lot of experience with it. I use a zipper foot to sew it and a basting stitch for that first stitching, to encase the cord. (I almost always use smaller cord than what's called for-I prefer the look it gives). When I stitch the first line of stitching, I like to stitch pretty close to the cord and then follow that line of stitching when I'm putting the layers together. Some sewists find success with a piping foot--I have one and have tried using it, but for me, the stitching line doesn't get close enough.

    I think you've got the hang of it, though, if you ask me!! :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful Pattern Parcel!
    Your new bag is georgeous!
    HAppy new sewing week to you,
    Hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eine wunderbare neue Tasche, und der Fahrradbaummler ist einfach genial!
    LG Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job with the piping! Your extra details - the leather and zipper pulls - look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag is beautiful, Liz. I have this pattern but have not made it yet. Your piping looks great. It is challenging but always adds that something extra. I bought a 3 pack of piping feet (3 different sizes) and I think they work great as long as the layers don't get too thick. I choose the foot that fits the piping the snuggest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bag !!! that fabric combo is very nice. You did a great job with the bag and with the piping (I love how it looks but I hate to sew it LOLL)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your colour choice :) And I think the piping you have added is great, it makes it looks so much more like an "old skool" bowling bag - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I have been following the blog posts about the Parcel 7 patterns because I was curious to see how the handbags would look. I'm trying to get my courage up to making my first bag 😊 Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you have made my favorite bag! (I've seen all the blog posts to date because I have been jumping around.) I love yours mainly because of the faux leather you used on the front. It made me think more of the actual 50s bowling bags and gave it a fun, updated retro look, instead of just having the shape. So a long post to tell you I like your design best! Magistra13 at yahoo dot com
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 Words for you chicken, Adjustable Zipper Foot. It will change your life! (I should get commission....)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is seriously gorgeous! You MUST have too many bags by now, it must be time to sell some to those of us not as gifted!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...