Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Takeoff Tote #2...

since I loved sewing Erin's ( Dog Under My Desk) - "Takeoff Tote" so much,  I had to make another one but this time smaller.
For everyday use I don't like a BIG purse...I tend to "schlepp" everything with me ...so the smaller the purse, the less I schlepp! ( which is shoulder friendlier!)... I reduced the pattern to 80% and now it is the perfect size for me.( 10" x 13.5" x 4")

I had bought this red faux leather at the Fabric Market in the fall...now was the perfect time to use it...heres is my smaller red version!
I loved this faux leather so much I bought it also in beige, gray & black !
It is a soft faux leather and to my surprise it sewed really well. I made the straps out of another black faux leather ...it was a bit thicker so I cut the straps double wide ( 2") and just folded it once in half ...I didn't want to make them to thick & heavy for the rest of the bag. 
On the other side of the bag I turned the "suitcase handle slip pocket" into a normal pocket...
 Inside I added a larger pocket and divided the into sections for my needs
I love the simple clean edge of the zipper...not to mention it was easy to sew !

Heres a comparison shot of the original "Takeoff Tote" ( 16"W x 12" T x 5.5" D) 
and my 80% red one  ( 13.5" W x 10" T x 4"D )
regardless which size....its a great bag !
Happy Sewing,
I also used headliner for the batting...its super light !

16 comments:

  1. It`s just fantastic.Great job!

    Wishing you a fabulous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!
    Lovely colour.

    Hugs Marle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marle--it is a gorgeous color--very sophisticated! It turned out beautifully.

    I am so with you on the purse size thing--no matter what the size of my purse--I tend to fill it to capacity (and then some). Yay for smart looking small-to-medium size bags! :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply gorgeous! I love your faux leather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I would love to know how you do the tassles! Do you make them? or buy them? They add a really nice touch to your bags!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Krista. I simply love the tassle. This bag looks so professional, Liz. No one would know it was handmade. Love the faux leather, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tassle tutorial, please. Very professional looking bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Kathy & Krista....no tutorial...the tassels are bought ( eBay ) LOL
      http://www.ebay.de/itm/111019540524?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

      Delete
  8. Hi Liz,
    this Bag is GEORGEOUS!
    HAve a happy day,
    Hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. The red is perfect for you Liz. It's a beautiful bag and sewn to perfection too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous bag :-) and a lovely size. The zipper at the top looks so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your bag, that faux leather is gorgeous. I would also prefer the smaller size for everyday use. It must be a common disease, this need to carry everything but the kitchen sink. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it Liz, it is gorgeous !!! you are a star !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, that's lovely! Thanks for the strap tips a while ago, I used the two fold/zigzag method a few days ago - really pleased with it'

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great bag! You make faux leather look easy!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...