Friday, January 2, 2015

2015 Bag of the Month.....January!

Can you say "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" 
...thats the first thing that came to mind when Samantha asked me to test this pattern.
I loved Mary Poppins as a kid and always wanted a bag like hers.....finally I have one!
Here is my version of " The Companion Carpet Bag "
I have to admit when I got the pattern to test,  I was a bit worried if I could sew it...I have never made a bag with a tubular frame...but Samantha said it was easy...and it was easy !! The pattern is super easy to follow, great instructions & lots of pictures ... I would even say a confident beginner could make this bag! It looks way harder then it is.
even the back looks nice....
Samantha also said to used cottons & not thick upholstery fabric or faux leather...of course I didn't listen to her. I wanted my Carpet Bag to be made from thick Gobelin fabric. At first I was going to go with a traditional red rose pattern but then I changed my mind and went for this wild circle pattern. 
I also decide to make the frame tunnel out of red faux leather....it was way easier then I had thought it would be.
...I even trimmed the front pocket with a bit of the faux leather....
For the inside I used a red taffeta. I added a slip pocket that goes the whole length of the bag....trimmed it with the outer fabric.
...and on the zipper pocket I played around a bit...I decided to try framing it with the faux leather...and it worked great .
The inside will hold a lot !
 If you read Samantha's post, then you already know I made a mistake making this bag.( a decision making mistake, not a sewing one)  Samantha generously sent all her testers the tubular frame, leather handles & tab ( we could pick the color we wanted...black, brown or red).  At the time I didn't know what fabric I was going use and I didn't know what color I would find...instinctively ( always go with your instinct) I wanted the red handles ...but then I decided it might be safer and picked black ( it would give me more options picking the fabric ) What happened... I found this fabric and needed red handles...so what else could I do but make my own!!

The handles & snap tab are self made...and I hate to admit how easy it was to make them.
To prove it...tomorrow I will post a tutorial on how you can make your own handles! 

I hope you liked my "Mary Poppins" bag....if you want to make your own, you have to join the Bag of the Month club... click " here " for info...
Happy Sewing !!
** The pattern includes two sizes - 8" & 12 "frames ....I used the 12"frames but I will be ordering the 8" too...it was just to much fun not to make another one ( or two!) 

P.S: I have also linked up with TT - Taschen und Täschchen 

18 comments:

  1. Happy new year!
    Your bag ist very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    as I see , your HAPPY NEDW YEAR already started with another georgeous bag!
    Great!
    Happy sewing day,
    hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the frame bags! Looking forward to the handle tute. I've been collecting leather and I've tried a bunch of tunes that require turning and it's just NOT working for me so really looking forward to your version of help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Virtual red dot on this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wieder eine wunderbare Tasche! Deinen Taschenschrank möchte ich mal sehen.

    LG

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz
    a happy new year and many favorites in 2015!
    Your bag is perfect and looks very professional.
    hugs Silke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag looks amazing but then that doesn't surprise me. You also did a fantastic job of the handles. Looking forward to your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love your bag! Mine is cut out and ready to sew today.... I made my handles yesterday, cannot wait to see your instructions for my next one! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful, Liz. I love your handmade handles and look forward to seeing the tutorial. My small version is almost cut out. I struggled picking out the fabric for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year, Liz!
    You started the new year like you ended the last .. piecing a wonderful bag.
    Hugs Katja

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the red faux leather. The bag looks great Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year. What a gorgeous bag. Anxiously awaiting my hardware so I can start making my carpet bag too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ein toller, sehr professionelles Ergebnis - auch im Vergleich mit den anderen TestnäherInnen.
    Glückwunsch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great bag from you!! Of course you had to go with your instincs! Funny thing! But good because then you get to teach us how you did it. Somehow your posts always make me smile! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Liebe Liz,
    eine tolle Tasche hast du wieder genäht. Wunderschön! Viel Spass beim Ausführen der neuen "Mary Poppins" ;-))
    L.G.
    sigisart

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Liz,
    your bag is stunning !!!! so vibrant. I can't wait to see the tutorial for the handles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing work, Liz! It's a fantastic looking bag! I'm looking at fabric and trim for mine right now, and you have definitely inspired me. I would like to try the pleather on the frame such as you have done. We shall see...but in the meantime, I sure have enjoyed looking at yours. :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  18. hallo liz,
    das ist eine wunderschöne tasche geworden. wunderschönes design !!
    glg und alles gute für 2015
    margit

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...