Is a pattern with a good cause.
Rachel of Pink Trocolate, is donating 100% of the proceeds of this pattern to a school in Zambia.
Is that not wonderful!!
It would be perfect to hold my " to sew" patterns ...OK, not all of them but some of them ....
As I was trying to decide which fabric to use ....when I remembered I had this piece of fabric Lisa machine quilted for me & said ...make something out of it one day...well the one day finally came !
Would you believe the half a meter piece was enough!!...it was meant to be!!
I can't believe I don't have a picture of the fabric ...but the beautiful quilting you see on the bag was done by Lisa, wish I could say I did it!
The pattern is not difficult but does have some steps that might be a bit much for a beginner ..I would say it is an Advanced to Intermediate pattern.
The dividers in the case can be made from different FQ's but I decided to use up this cream fabric I had a ton of...and of course some Ikea polka dots were a must !
I first thought the pattern required a lot of fabric but I soon discovered it wasn't as bad as I believed....I could used everything out of my stash.
That is the exterior & lining pattern piece ! BIG !!!
So I decide to make only 6 dividers ..this causes my case not to open as wide but that OK, I wanted a file type of case.
To make the dividers stand up nicely & to be a bit firmer & to save on all the interfacing the pattern calls for ...I made little tunnels at the top & bottom of the divider pieces & slide in cable ties ( I think you call them zip ties in the USA ?? ).....make sure you shorten them a good 1/2" in from each side...you don't want your machine sewing through them !
Next challenge was sewing the handle...look how thick that is ...but I did it without breaking a needle! ( Schmetz Universal #100)
Once the dividers were attached to the exterior, then came the worst part ..for me ...sewing on the binding!!
...thats a lot of binding to do by hand and since there is S520 stabilizer in there ...there is no way I was going to attempt it by hand...but sewing on binding with the machine is not one of my strengthnesses!
Rachel had suggested I glue basted it on...then I remembered I had an old bottle of "Liqui Fuse! ...I sewed the first half on like you do on a quilt...then I added the fusible glue ( very little goes a long way) and I ironed it over fusing it in place...worked like a charm!!...now to get it in the machine & sew a straight neat line ...thats another story!
I won't lie to you ....a lot of huffing & puffing went on....but I did it.!
Its not perfect but I am happy with it ...yes, it is filled with " I would like to sew" projects!