Thursday, October 8, 2015

McKenna Bag

...is the newest design by Lisa of "Around the Bobbin" and it was my first time testing a pattern for her. I am so glad I got the chance to test it because I got an adorable bag out of it and I learned a few new things along the way.
This is a small Crossbody bag but still big enough to hold the necessities. You can remove the strap & use it as a clutch or attach a wristlet strap instead.
It is approx. 5-1/2" H x 9" W x 2-1/4" D. 
It is classified as Intermediate Sewing skills...but if you have made a bag & are not afraid of zippers, you'll have no problem! I was surprised how fast & easy it was made.

I was really tempted to make it all out of faux leather but I decided to dig out a Batik fabric instead ...but added suede for the framing, strap & a few pockets
This front pocket holds your cell phone for quick access! 
.... the inside is loaded with pockets of such a little bag...I love it !!! I made the center pocket also out of suede ..I think it adds that special touch!
The back is nice & simple...
 The sides have on little pleat to hold the divider pocket in place ( no problems with the thickness here!)
I also liked that the flap is machine quilted...I haven't done any quilting in a while so it was nice to do it again! 

Now on to the pattern....
I was pleasantly surprised how well the instructions were written ( that is not always the case in testing patterns...I have had a few nightmares so I am always a bit leery when testing for someone new to me) 
But I am happy to report...I really liked her writing style...its a combination of diagrams & photos ("Reality checks"... to make sure everything is right..Love it!) 
I loved the layout, the fact that it was easy to read & had lots of diagrams with a few real pictures thrown in!
I also loved how she did the bottom but most of all I love how she did the lining for the bag! BRILLIANT ...NO Baggy linings!! Loved it, loved it !!
Here is a bad picture of the inside before the divider pocket was added ( I made NO adjustments to the lining..I followed the pattern!)...nice & smooth! 

As you can tell I love sewing this bag % it was a pleasure to make! 
If her other patterns are anything like this one, your going to love them...I have my eye on the 
Sassy Tote!! She also has some nice bags for quitters that use that twister tool.

Lisa is having a 20% Sale on this pattern from today till Sunday ( Oct. 8-11, 2015) 
Please use the code MCKENNA at the check out !!
Don't forget to check out the other testers versions *Here*!
Happy Sewing !!


***I'll be linking up with T&T-Tasschen und Täschchen  & RUMS

  • I used Batik, cotton & suede for the exterior & lining
  • 5mm foam for the flap
  • Thermolan for the body


10 comments:

  1. Hi Liz,
    this bag is lovely, such a good size!
    Well done!
    Wishing you a happy and wonderful weekend ahead!
    love and hugs,
    Claudia xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Liz,
    oh I like that one too, great purse and with so many possibilities.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your experience, having tested so many bags, what did this designer do that other designers don't to ensure a snuggly fitting lining ? Were the lining pieces smaller ? Did the pattern tell you to increase the lining seam allowance ?

    Great bag by the way Liz, as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Alison, I am not sure exactly why it fit so well, because it wasn't till I was done sewing it together that I realized what a nice fit without any adjustments. I now had a closer look at the pattern pieces...the lining pieces are cut smaller then the exterior, this could be the amount I always have to take the linings in by. The batting was added to the lining not the exterior ( as an insert) ...maybe this also added to reducing the bulk so that when the exterior & interior were sewn together they fit smother ??? I plan on making another one out of faux leather, so l'll let you know :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Liz, to my mind it would make sense to have lining pieces which are smaller than the exterior, I wonder why designers don't do that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because its more work !! LOL..more pattern pieces are needed ??
      I am not sure why its not more commonly done ??

      Delete
  5. This is a really cute bag, Liz. I love the touch of adding the suede and the quilting lines. Beautifully done, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautifully made bag once again. It looks great. I love that smooth, neat lining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit late as usual. Great bag for the Holidays! I love the burst of purple inside. About the lining being smaller I noticed that with the new Epiphany Bag from Chris W Designs. The lining is cut with a slightly smaller pattern piece and the fit is pretty neat too. So much to learn! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review Liz. now thinking that I might buy this one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...