Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Breckland Bag...

lately I am on a bit of a Charlie's Aunt pattern kick.....they are fast & easy to sew but do have a few ticks that I will mention later...

Charlie's Aunt patterns love to use Harris Tweed...its what gives them that great country look ...but since its not easy to find it here, a girl has to get creative.. ...I found this lovely red upholstery tweed, added black faux leather for the front pocket & viola my Brecklands Bag !
This is what I'd call a good middle sized bag....14" wide at it's widest point x 9.5"H x 1.75"D (36 x 24 x 4.5cm)
It comes with a magnet closure...
.... This is a "tick area" in the pattern for me. She has you attach the female part of the magnet to the exterior pocket at the very end !! ( once you have completely finished making the bag) I find this makes for sloppy workmanship..I don't wish to have prongs on the inside of my pocket...ouch!! Not to mention it would scratch my cell phone....I am surprised none of her testers told her is is not a good idea ! 
Needless to say I couldn't do it that way...so I had to baste the exterior bag together...find the magnet placement...make my mark on the exterior pocket...take the bag apart...add the magnet to the exterior pocket ...then continued sewing as instructed.
It was easier to do then it sounds but a pattern should have these measurements included for you !!?? 
Pet Peeve area for me!
The inside has the same shaped pocket as the exterior ..I added a bit of trim from the plaid to give it some color.
I placed my iPad in lengthwise so you can better visually the size.
 Don't you just love it when the pattern matches up for you !!
I enjoyed sewing this bag...as I said it was fast & easy ...basically there are only 4 pattern pieces...back, front, pocket & flap ( repeat for interior) 
The other change I made was,  I sewed my handles the usual easy way ( like the purple ones in the tutorial ) she has you cut two strips for the handles & then line them up & sew them together...not for me & faux leather ! I also changed the strap to an adjustable one since I wanted this bag for the Christmas markets ...gotta have my hands free for all this goodies!
Here's a comparison shot of the other bag of hers I made ..."The Exchange Bag"
Hope you like it ??
Happy Sewing !

*** I'll be linking up with creadienstag & TT- Taschen & Täschchen


  • I used Upholstery Tweed of the exterior
  • Faux leather for the pocket
  • cotton for the lining
  • 5mm headliner for the batting

8 comments:

  1. Nice bag! Love the red plaid. Great review. I would've make the same changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job and great fixes! I have been tempted to order one of her patterns! Thanks for the review!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review Liz! I hope to make mine next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, fabulous bag! I love plaids and tartans, and you did a beautiful job. I'd love to make one for myself just like this. And second, of all the great blogs I discovered during this past Purse Palooza, yours is the one I enjoy and look forward to the most. Your reviews have great information and lots of useful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Liz,
    wonderful bags, so much style to them. You are really an expert for noticing the problems with the closure magnet.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both so gorgeous, Liz. The red one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look like they were just made for winter shopping in those beautiful fabrics Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool bag. Really like the wool, faux leather contrast!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...