Friday, November 18, 2016

Fussy Cutting ...

When I use to do a lot of hand appliqué I did a lot of fussy cutting, so when I started making bags it was natural for me to apply that technique to my bags.

In case your asking yourself...what is fussy cutting ??

Fussy cutting ...is when you deliberately cut a piece of fabric so it shows off a picture or print. You are "fussy" about cutting the design out so it is exactly where you want it.

The front of this Grace was not just luck...it was fussy cut !

...this technique lets me see exactly where the fabric design will be on my pattern piece when it is cut out....no disappointing placements.

It is really easy to do and produces great results every time. It also lets me "audition" if a fabric is right for the pattern?

1 - When I am cutting out my paper pattern piece I cut it out neatly so that I can tape it together like big Window or "View Finder".

2 - I lay the "View Finder" on my fabric and move it around to see which image I would like to see?
The first picture was a definite no-go!!

 ...this view was much better!
3 - Once the "View" is decided...I do not move my "View Finder". Carefully I place the pattern piece inside the View Finder and pin it down.
4- Now I remove the "View Finder" and cut the piece out. 
** For faux leather I use the technique except I don't "pin" my pattern piece on ...I use masking tape to hold it in place.
....you can find more info on embroidering on faux leather *here*

The down size of fussy cutting is you end up with "swiss cheese" fabric
.....but lovely bags!
*** Another variable I considered when planning my "Fussy Cutting" on Grace was the handle placement.

Whether I was using fabric or planning to embroider on faux leather, I measured 1 1/2" down from the top edge of the circle. I made a chalk line....
 ...this is the inside of the handle placement mark.
 Knowing where my handle will be on my finished piece lets me know if I need to move the fabric/design up or down for perfect placement.
...for the embroidery version I continued stitching the design first using the "Embroidering on Faux Leather tutorial", then cut it out as stated above.

Now that you know my big secret of fussy cutting ...you can have perfect placement too!!


Happy Sewing


P.S. You can find the pattern for Grace and my other designs on Craftsy 




4 comments:

  1. I saw uyou do this and copied the idea, clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    those are really funny bags :O)
    Happy weekend,
    Hugs, Claudia xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. hallo Liz,
    das sind ja fantastische Taschen!!!
    LG
    Gitta
    Danke für die Anleitung!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...